Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Living Sacrifice

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.



Romans 12:1
Like children do, they sometimes need correction. On one such day, my four year old son showed me the true meaning of living sacrifice. Taking them both aside I gave both children an ultimatum. "Only one will punished. Which one will it be?" I asked. Through tears and crying he reponded,"Me." "Are you certain? It may involve a spanking?" "Yes," he firmly said through sobbing. I picked him up and embraced him. I hugged them both. "You love sissy that much," I inquired. "Uh-Huh," came back my answer.



In John chapter six, Jesus uses a little boy to demonstrate not only sacrifice, but also His power. Jesus had been preaching to five thousand people. When it was time to eat, Jesus asked the disciples how they were going to feed all of the people. The disciples already knew that Jesus was at work. Andrew told Jesus that he had found a young boy who had five barley loaves and two fish. This may have been all the food the boy had to eat. It might have had to last him for a long time. But he gave all taking the chance of going hungry. Jesus told the crowd to sit down. He took the bread and fish and thanked God for the food that He had blessed them with. Suddenly, the people were amazed to see that there was enough food for every one of those five thousand people. The boy's living sacrifice fed many.




That day, Jesus was able to use that little boy as an example of sacrifice. The boy did not know Jesus, but he was more than willing to give up all of his food for Him. The boy gave of his food. Even at his own risk. My son was willing to give of his well being and the potential for punishment to let his sister slide.




They did it for love. Sacrifice is about love for our brothers and sisters. And my how God has put me to shame, revealing to me that little boys are smarter than grown men when it comes to sacrificial love. What I'm willing to give up is nothing in comparison to them. Their bodies literally became a living sacrifice. Mine is nothing more than a sacrifice of convience.




God,


In my soul searching journey, may I be willing to ask myself what I'm willing to give up for Your use?


Amen.
"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels