Friday, June 19, 2020

The Most Perfect Of Chairs



To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Revelation 3:21

Even after all these years, my daughter still remembers the chair my father sat in at the kitchen table. "It is the most perfect of chairs," she exclaims as she puts the chair at the head of the table. The chair is made like the others, but is different because it had been reupholstered. The other chairs are worn and look quite rough. This one was quite ragged at one time. Not too long before my dad passed on it was redone. Looking better and stronger than the day it was made. I'm still amazed she remembers which chair considering she was only 5 at his death.



I've learned that when my faith is shaken, and when I've almost given up, God speaks. I can't hear Him like I should. As I jokingly told a friend at work that I could barely hear over the noise of the shop, my wife accuses me of having selective hearing, hearing only what I want to hear and not what I need too. To some extent, that's true about us all, especially me. What I can't hear over all the noise, my child hears perfectly. Her beautiful, long auburn hair that glistens in the sun with its blond high lights hides ears that pick up the Holy Spirit's voice. Only when she puts it into words and I stop what I'm doing do I hear. "Be still and listen," the Bible says.



In that small statement and small action, it spoke volumes to my soul. The chair placed at the head of the table tells me that our Heavenly Father sits at the front just as my earthly father had. The chair being made new was of the resurrection that is to come. The statement of it being "the most perfect of chairs" reminds me of the perfection we can only achieve through Christ. And the understanding of a child points out to me how far I have to go in my soul searching road.



by

Lance Gargus

No comments:

"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels