Monday, July 18, 2016

Shy Girl

For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.


Psalm 71:5


The shell must break before the bird can fly. - Tennyson





She stands where I once stood,


Doing the very best she could.


At times it seems like she doesn't stand a chance,


Never given a second glance.





Always chosen last when game time arrives,


Never sure if she will be let to thrive.


Alone she stands on the playground,


No friends to play with can be found.





Each time I look at her I remember long ago,


There was this boy I use to know.


Something about her reminds me of him,


Could it be all the little things I did back then?





As she chews on fingers, standing to the side,


So afraid to be noticed she runs and hides.


Into her shell shy girl retreats,


Terrified of others that she meets.





So much wanting to help her overcome all,


I continuously beat my head against the wall.


My stomach in knots when she stands up to play,


She ignores the ball and looks the other way.





Oh, how I wish I could help her become outgoing like me,


But God I've forgotten the boy I used to be.


Those frightening moments I didn't know what to do,


As my coach would yell,"Wake up, you!"





The old pain stirs and beats against the scar,


Have I really come that far?


The girl out there standing on the basketball court was once me,


Dear God, why do you make me see?





With a lump in my throat and tears swelling in my eyes,


I cringe each time that she tries.


My heart pounding as my nerves jump,


God let this be just for her a temporary bump.





For each parent sees a part of them in each child,


Even the weaknesses we've all compiled.


But sweet Father this is my curse,


Don't let my faults make her life worse.





She loves you so much and her heart is so pure,


God help me, to help her, not feel so insecure.


Help me with the feeble words that I speak,


Christ build in her the confidence for which I seek.


by


Lance Gargus

No comments:

"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels