Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Family





For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,



Ephesians 3:14-15




I wake up to what seems a madhouse. The kids screaming as their playing. The phone ringing constantly as person after person calls. My neighbor's dog barking at anything it sees, even a bug on the ground. What could make it any worse?  Before me sits a stack of bills that is overdue.. I jump in the shower to grab a quick bath, only to hear the washing machine a thumping. I'll have to remember to fix that. Better quit daydreaming, only 30 minutes left to finish up and eat. The date has gone out on the milk. How lovely. Off I go into the fray of battle called work.




Come home, rush to help finish school work, coordinate their teeth brushing, bathing, prayers, and sometime among the pandemonium catch my breath. After the storm, I catch a moment of calm. Their asleep so I take the opportunity to rest. What do I suddenly hear but knock, knock. "What's wrong?"I ask. "I had a bad dream." You let one in, the other wants in too. Between a truck and unicorn , they crunch into bed. 




They fall asleep and as I often do, I watch them. Each one sleeping peacefully beside each other. In the still of that late night hour, I believe I can almost hear each one's heart beating. The beat is better than any rhythm I know. It's the beat of life, my life with them.




Thank you Lord for my family you've entrusted me with. Though it isn't always easy, it's a road worth traveling. Help those who are without loved ones on their journey. Be the family that that they're missing tonight.


Amen.




by
Lance Gargus

Lance Gargus
"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels