Monday, December 25, 2006

The Path


In my dream I had before my father died, I was standing on a road that wound around a mountain. As I was standing there I glanced up at the top of the mountain. The summit was flat allowing the placement of a large structure of some sort. It was enshrouded in darkness so as to hide it from view. But, suddenly, it came in view for all to see on this summit. Everyone in the world could now see it. Now, as I beheld this place I realized it was a church. A magnificent church it was. It was built on such a grandiose scale for all to behold and admire. The workers of this structure worked day and night. It dwarfed any cathedral in Europe by any means. The work I felt would never be completed on this building. They were working so feverishly in a pitch of ferocity to complete a project that would never be done. The work was not on God's Kingdom but on the materialism of impressing others with their riches. Just as the Israelites did with the temple I was told by a voice that came from nowhere. I heard voices in the shadows behind the workers say,"As long as they are building this structure, they will be no bother to us."

I was so puzzled what I was doing here. "What am I suppose to be here for?"I questioned. I observed in front of this path a great chasm separating the path into. Down below lay nothing but darkness. There was one way across this chasm and one way only. In front lay this bridge that sat on two giant rocks. As I looked to my right, I seen someone jumping in and out of the shadows of that great chasm. I seen that it was some female. As I drew closer to this woman I caught a glimpse of the face. To my shock it was my wife. "What are you doing?" I inquired but she did not answer me. Voices came from behind wondering what am I going to do next. "I am going across this here bridge to find an answer to this riddle," was my reply. "Come with me," I insisted to the voices. As they stepped into the light I saw a man and a woman. They were recognizable to me but unlike I had ever seen them. It was my son and daughter standing there staring back with a look of question. They were grown probably mid-20s. And behind them stood thousands of black figures with no faces. "Who are they?" I insisted upon knowing. "They are the generations of your descendants watching you," my children told me. There I was put on the spot wondering what to do next. "Well, then, follow me across," I shouted with joy. "NO!!!," they all shouted with one voice. I had run halfway across the bridge before I could even get the words out of my mouth. Their voices shook me to the core. Like untold stories yet to be told shook me from the future. "But why?!" I shouted back in anger. Their tone then changed to one of question. "We like it here. We are comfortable here," was their answer back. "How can you mean that?" I said with much bewilderment. "Do you know what is on the other side of that bridge?" they demanded to know. My eyes widened and my face lost all expression. I stood there for what seemed like hours. I turned to try to peer to the other side. Yet, for all my efforts these eyes, alas, could see nothing. I opened my mouth to speak but all that came out was a weak,"No, I do not." In that moment I never felt so alone. As if my childhood had come back to haunt me. I stood like I did so many times on that playground defeated like the breath had been knocked out of me. No matter how many fights I fought against those bullies and won or lost. I kept standing up. But behind every corner of my life there was one more bully to fight. That wears on a man afterwhile. The constant barrage of battle in life, mind, and soul. I stood there in that moment with my whole life being replayed to me. I looked back at them knowing we couldn't go back up that hill. "Now what?" was my last thought as I awoken. "We will see," was the response back from the main voice I heard.

I inquired about this dream to my father before his death. He said, "God would reveal the meaning of this to me in due time." God reveals things with many layers and find new things each time you look back. My drive for this site was more than trying to honor my father's memory but the understanding of that dream. The answer lies within me. But I have to understand the past of who I am and what I am to become. The word Legacy carries so much more weight after you stare down the ages to come.

As I look forward to a new year I ponder these things in my heart continuously searching the depths of my soul.

"If any man lack wisdom, let him ask God."

James 1:5
Key Search Words:Christianity, Bible, Jesus, Angels, Soul Searching, God, Holy Spirit, Doves, Love, Children, Heaven

2 comments:

Lance said...

Lance,
Maybe your dream reflects your concern with trying to balance two needs that
can seem to conflict with each other: the need to achieve certain materialistic
needs/wants with the need to do all you can to seek God and please Him. Perhaps
the shadows and the chasm represent the split between these two desires and the
people and voices in your dream may represent disagreement over which need
should be given more emphasis (your practical need for money and material things
for you and your family versus your need to achieve a deeper relationship with
God. Maybe you are torn between how much energy to devote to these two needs?

This is just my best guess. I may be all wrong.

Bobby

Enemy of the Republic said...

I don't do well at interpreting dreams--I do wonder; why do you think this is of God?

"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels