Monday, June 18, 2007

Crosses Everywhere

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:24


The hope of my life you are. The love of my life you are. Oh, the wonderful cross. Would I embrace my cross or run away? I stared at the cross in the reflection in the dresser mirror. The depth of the cross seemed to sink into the mirror infinitely. This was brought to my attention by a sweet,little innocent child. You can find crosses everywhere if you just look. God's constant reminder of His presence.

"Daddy, do you see the cross in the mirror?" she inquired. The deep blue eyes staring up at me waiting on a response. Shaking my head I looked back at my daughter. I didn't see anything. "Look one more time," she begged with a look of belief. "Alright, but this is the last time," was my reply. As I stared into the mirror I thought of this week and the events preceding it. The Vacation Bible School that week and how excited she was about Jesus. Her optimism was so hard to understand at my age. As I get impatient and refuse to wait upon the Lord, she takes me by the hand and leads me back. Today was Father's Day. And in my grief of the loss of my father I just didn't feel like this. The frustration of everything tearing up at my house and my mother's house was pulling on me. Oh, how I missed him there to help me with all these home repairs. My heart breaking from the load as I struggled to see.

There from the moonlight was the image glowing being reflected on to the mirror. A shelf gave a dual image on the mirror to make a cross. "I see it, now," my eyes finally revealed. "Amazing isn't it, Daddy?" was a small child's words of faith. A little child shall lead us. What strength there is in that little girl leading me. God reveals these things to us in due time.

It was Dad's way of reassuring me. He just wanted to remind me what I am living for. To remind me I don't walk alone in my soul searching. Walk by faith, not by sight just like a little girl.

by
Lance Gargus

Key Search Words:Christianity, Bible, Jesus, Angels, Soul Searching, God, Holy Spirit, Doves, Love, Children, Heaven

5 comments:

Jackie said...

What a lovely story. One reason I love Wordsworth is his 'Ode To Itmations To Immortality'. In it he explains how when we first enter the world we are still so very close to our creator that we are pure innonence....it is only as we grow older and further away from hence we cam that sometimes things are harder to see. Children are very innocent and many times can lead us to such wonderful things. And, how very special for Jesus to let you know he was there with you as you were griving over your loss. Thanks for sharing this lovely story. God bless you and yours~Jackie

Anonymous said...

it was great,,,,

Anonymous said...

Lance...you have a lot to share with the world and you are an incredible writer...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great story!

Anonymous said...

It’s when GOD put in my way special people like you and your daughter, that I realize that this life can be so great. People like you give hope to the others that feels lost to in this road of life. Thank You!
Sónia

"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels